Monday, November 30, 2015

Nesche and the Nannies (Part 9 of 6)

 Part 9 - Nesche LANDAU geb. LANDAU

I need to reconsider my basis for estimating the death date for Nesche LANDAU geb. LANDAU (b.ca.1804).

In two recent blog entries, I have explained my rationale for concluding that Nesche died in the late 1850s, probably between September 1856 and February 1859.  That was based on the naming of her granddaughters Nanny in "1859, 1863, and after 1852 (perhaps ca.1858)".

The last part of that sentence is incorrect.  That was my assumption back in July 2014 when I first checked the naming pattern of Nesche's grandchildren.  At that time, based on review of Myslowitz Jewish community records back in 2009, I had the information that Nanny was a daughter of Israel Jonas LANDAU and Eva LICHTENFELD, but that particular entry in the Myslowitz records was largely illegible. Based on the location of Nanny's birth entry in the records, Nanny appeared to be their first child, born before Lazar Bernhard (b.5 January 1853).

Possibly because I learned that Israel Jonas and Eva were married in 1852 (in Opatow / Apt), I seem not to have assumed that Nanny was born before Lazar Bernhard, despite her birth record coming physically and chronologically before his in the Myslowitz records.

Having not assigned an estimated birth date for Nanny, when I looked at the naming pattern in 2014, I saw the marriage date of 1852 and children's births in 1853, 1854, 1855, 1856, 1857, 1860, 1861 and 1864,  I noticed the gap between 1857 and 1860, and allowed myself to speculate that Nanny was born in that period (ca.1858).  That could have been a reasonable guess, if not for the location of Nanny birth entry in the Myslowitz records.

In March 2015, when I found the Berlin Heiratsregister entry for Nanny and learned that her birth date was 24 February 1851, I did not notice that I had based my theory about Nesche's death date on the uncertainty of when this granddaughter Nanny was born.

But now having noticed that last piece of data, I have to reconsider the Nanny naming pattern:
* Joseph Hirsch's children are not known well enough to consider in this context; he did name a daughter Fanny in 1852
* Hendla named her 9th or 10th child Nani in 1859, having had daughters in 1848, 1850, 1852, 1854 and 1856
* Israel Jonas named his first child Nanny in 1851
* Sara died married in 1860, but whether she had children is unknown
* Amalie named her first child Nanny in 1862

A naming pattern is now harder to discern.

It would be easy to assume that Nesche died before 1851.  But if she died so early, why did Hendla fail to name one of her earlier daughters Nesche or Nanny; she went to the names Faigla, Bajla, Emma, Chana, and possibly Rachel, before naming a daughter Nani in 1859.

Unless the girls named Nanny were not named in memory of Nesche, she either died before 1851 and the question about Hendla's name selections remains, or she died about 1858, and the question is why did Israel Jonas name a daughter Nanny already in 1851.

Two out of three scenarios lead to the conclusion that Nesche had died by 1859, enabling her husband Haskel LANDAU to re-marry in the 1860s.  The third scenario is that the naming of granddaughters Nanny has nothing to do with Nesche and provides no clues as to when Nesche died.

I think I cannot reach a conclusion with the available information.

No comments:

Post a Comment